Saturday 9 May 2009

When it's saturday, it's Holland

Waterland-Oost

View from the boat


Lychnis flos-cuculi (Echte koekoeksbloem)


Eriophorum angustifolium (Veenpluis)

This is the part I like when we walk where everything grows tall like this.
Today I went birding near Amsterdam at a place called Waterland-Oost. At 5:50am I was picked up by René. Usually I see that I’m ready on time and I wait while standing in the front door, so he don’t have to ring the bell and wake up the rest of my house.
While I stood there I heard my swift calling! That early in the morning! The sky was pink with the upcoming day and there was no wind and it was not too cold, just the freshness of a new day hanging in the air.
We were fortunate to have a lovely day, meaning there was no wind and no rain. In the morning we had a boat trip which is one of the pleasant things you can have in Holland. Before we left on the boat trip, we were treated with a cup of coffee or tea and cake. While we sat there enjoying it, I saw many barn swallows and a group of house martins. In the vicinity were a few houses, but I could not see even one nest for house martins. All the houses were very clean and neat and they had no nests for house martins in clear sight from where I sat.
In the afternoon we had a walk which was very pleasant with the warm sun on us. On our trip back home I saw some red faces from a slight sunburn. Later in the week I will add a link to the birding list of what was seen today.
List of birds seen on the trip.
Pictures of the day.
We were home well on time for me to check if my swift is back and yes, s/he was.
At 8:55pm he flew a few rounds in the street, but could not enter. Either the inflight looked too fast or it just flew over the house , all kinds of strange routes, but after about 5 tries it flew away.
Then at 9:10pm it flew low through the street. The front façade of my house is about 10 or 11 meters to the eaves and when I say it flew low through the street, I meant it flew lower than the eaves. Then it was gone!
I waited till 9:20pm, because by then it was too dark for it to fly into the nest.
Now I’m too tired to post any pictures, it will have to wait till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment