Saturday 30 May 2009

This past week - 26 till 30 May 2009

It is some time since I have been here, my “other” life got in the way.
The swifts are good and well back and always there, even when other issues take over. Cycling I can see them flying or when I’m inside I can hear them calling.
Some nests show themselves even when you are not looking, thus I saw last Tuesday an old friend back in De Bayostreet.
In my street there are only my three nestboxes and another nestbox of someone who responded to the letters I posted in the houses in this area. Two years ago I discovered a nest in nr 10, but I was not sure. One day I watched that spot. After 45 min. I got tired and wanted to leave, but decided to make a photo of the suspected nest anyway as the lighting was very good then. Just as I made the pic, a swift flew into the nest! Talk of luck.

Last year I never saw any fly in or out; but I saw some droppings under the nest.
With all the swifts searching now, there are some action in my street, specially on the white eaves where the paint comes off. There is one spot at a house which is often flown at and on Tuesday I saw a swift disappear into it! From now on I will have to watch it closely.
Clair’s swift is back too. She knows for sure that it is there for 10 years already. Her swifts are living between two floors of her house. The entry is hole at a anchor on the back of her house. At first they thought they had mice, because they heard noises and eventually realized that it was swifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment