Sunday 17 May 2009

Two make a pair! 16 May 2009

While having visitors I noticed a lot of acitivity at my nestbox on Saturday night. Of course I could not resist that, so I went outside to have a look at my nestboxes and at about 8:30pm I saw TWO swifts enter nestbox number 2!
Today I will keep a close view at them as far as I can. I don't have webcams in the nestboxes and have to stand outside on the street to see them, which is not such a great thing. You only realise what a drafty place a street is if you stand there for hours on end to watch your nestboxes. I can tell now after spending two summers keeping watch. The first year I stood there twice a day when I played sound and the CD is about 75 minutes, but then I had the pleasure to watch swifts inspecting the nestboxes. Some days none came around.
The second year I played sound twice when I saw a little head peep out of the nestbox. It did result in standing outside much longer, because I never knew when I will see them. I finally realised that I can see them enter the boxes at about 10pm. So I went outside at 9:30pm and saw them at anything from 9:45 till 10:15pm.
If they are model swifts this year I should have a breeding pair ....... I do so hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment