Thursday 21 May 2009

Sunny days - 20 May 2009

Wednesday turned out to be one of those perfect summer days, no wind and sun! If you live in Belgium you know to enjoy those rare days.
On one of the yahoo lists I saw they spotted a Great Reed Warbler at the Abbey and because I have never seen it before I went there, but I did not find it. I did see something else, there were lots and lots of butterflies all flying in the same direction. It was so strange to see the one after the other going through. It must have been some migration going on and with no wind it was obvious.
I found one sitting on the ground in the sun for a few minutes, when I was photohraphing some flowers.



Babies are always beautiful, even these mallards. These have grown since I last saw them.

By noon I was back home and saw my swift trying to lure another one into his nestbox……….but the same story as before, she flew up to the nestbox and then turned away.
Later in the afternoon I was at my son’s and still the butterflies kept coming. There must have been thousands migrating. That is if the Painted lady is a migrating butterfly, I can’t seen any other reason.
In the evening I was outside much earlier and walked around in my neighbourhood.
I found another nest!
I’m really chuffed with this nest. It was one of those accidental lucky moments, when you look in the right direction at the good time.
There were so many swifts around the church tower and I saw two leaving a nesthole just as I was looking.



Soon I can start searching for nests, I’m so looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment