Saturday 23 May 2009

A pair again? 23 May 2009

A jamboree in the sky! Only swiftophiles will know what I'm talking about.
It started this morning and ended tonight when they entered the nestboxes to sleep or took to the higher sky. It is not only today, it is already like this for a few days, but today I managed to watch and enjoy.
At 12:05 my heart sank in my shoes when again he came flying in with his lady friend in quick pursuit, but while he still entered the box she flew off. Once he's inside I don't hear him anymore. Poor mite, sits there and wonder when she enters while she is off.
It was very busy with many looking for nests. It is rather funny to see them fly up to the eaves and clinging onto the wall. White painted eaves with patches where the paint came off will be visited by swifts time after time.
Just after he entered the box, a party of 4 flew three times past the boxes and one gave a scream every time they flew past. From the boxes came no sound.
Tonight many dark clouds filled up the sky and I decided to watch my nestboxes much earlier. Actually I was on the street often today, I just love to watch the swifts.
At 19:55 one flew out of a box and away, but then ..... at 20:03 it was back and guess what? Both flew into nestbox 1. While he was still stumbling to get inside, she was also there and entered the box with him.
Al his efforts finally payed off.
Tonight I'm a happy chappy! ...... and while I write this I heard a hyeana calling at Nkorho cam and now a lion roared, but it ended a bit funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment