Tuesday 5 May 2009

5 May 2009 - Watching sickles in the sky

Today the sky keeps it’s silence. Or so I thought.
This week has been a quiet week for me, but not for the swifts. There are some ” hotspots” where I always see swifts, so if I need to see them, I cycle there. My garden scores quite well too. Nothing more pleasant to sit in the garden on a warm evening and listen to their screams above, while being absorbed with the exploits of Lisbeth Salander.
The week started slow and on Tuesday I saw only one. Not far from me is a church and they have garages which they rent out. If I go there I can watch the back of the houses opposite me in my street. There are many nests in these houses, though some of the nests were closed. Some people just don’t like sharing.

At the garages the swifts have a wide open sky to frolic and fly and old houses with many holes.
On Tuesday I saw one swift only and it was flying up to holes in the houses. Was it perhaps a swift of one of the closed-off nests? After several tries it flew off.
It’s already a week since I made my last entry, but it’s a bit cold to stand outside on the street every day and watch my nestboxes. They just feel empty to me, I don’t hear any sounds from them or see any swifts dive down in the street to pass the nests.
I still don’t have a observation box to let me know when “my” swifts are back. On the other hand there are great webcams to watch. My favourite is of Natuulijk Henk where there are two nests with each a swift.
It is not that there are not swifts around, there are many in the sky. Today I took my grandkids home after school with the bus and while waiting for the bus, we watched a group of maybe 30 “playing” in the air.
When there are no swifts it's just as pretty to look at the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment